The largest World War II Memorial in the United States is located near Hiouchi, about 10 mi. from Crescent City. From the beginning of World War II until shortly after its conclusion, from all across America, donations, many as small as 10¢, poured in to buy 5,000 acres of old-growth redwoods as a living memorial to honor those who fought. Today it comprises about half of Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. Called the National Tribute Grove, at its dedication in 1949 a memorial stone with a bronze plaque was erected along Hwy 199, so that those driving by would see it and remember. However, as the years passed the stone became obscured by vegetation, and was lost from view and almost lost from memory.
Then in September of 2014, thanks to efforts by the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Garden Club of America and Redwood National and State Parks, the 2,000 lb. stone was relocated to the picnic area of the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park’s campground. Now once again people can see it, and be reminded of the sacrifices of those who served. The monument was unveiled by World War II veteran Robert D. Maxwell, a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor, at a ceremony rededicating the National Tribute Grove.
WHERE: Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park’s campground picnic area.