The site is protected as part of the Lewis and Clark National and State Historical Parks, and is also known as Fort Clatsop National Memorial. The original Fort Clatsop decayed in the wet climate of the region but was reconstructed in 1955 from sketches in the journals of William Clark and lasted for fifty years. The replica was severely damaged by fire in early October 2005. A new replica, more rustic, was built by about 700 volunteers in
2006. The site is currently operated by the National Park Service. The park also features an interpretive center and an exhibit hall. During the summer months, there are park rangers stationed in the fort and at the trailheads who are costumed in period clothing and buckskin.
WHERE: 92343 Fort Clatsop Road – Astoria