Here at the “gateway to the tall trees country,” weary travelers can refresh themselves with a dip in the South Fork of the Eel River, a quiet picnic, or a stroll through the beautiful redwoods. There is also great fishing here. Standish-Hickey offers three campgrounds, with over 150 campsites available on a first come, first served basis, for those who choose to stick around a little longer.
Standish-Hickey State Recreation Area began as a Save the Redwoods League campground in 1922, and in the 1950s 500 additional acres were donated by the family of Miles Standish, one of the original pilgrims. The 1200-year-old Captain Miles Standish Tree named after him is one of the park’s premier attractions. Additional acreage was acquired over the years, and now the park is over 1,000 acres. The second part of the park’s name was chosen in memory of Edward Ritter Hickey, the son of a local lumberman, who died of the Spanish influenza in 1918 while caring for victims of the pandemic. His family also donated some of the land.
Next Up: #98 – One Log House