Lake County is a popular California family getaway directly east of Mendocino County. Hwy 20 runs along the northern shore of Clear Lake, the county’s namesake, and offers a continuous view of its sparkling blue waters. You can pick it up about 5 miles north of Ukiah on Hwy 101. From Upper Lake on Hwy 20 you can take Hwy 29 south if you prefer, through Lakeport and Kelseyville to Lower Lake, looping around the lake to the south. At Lower Lake you can pick up Hwy 53 north through Clearlake and complete the loop back to Hwy 20. Throughout Lake County you’ll find friendly communities, outdoor recreation, attractions and activities, beautiful rural scenery and some of the best air quality in the state.
Clear Lake in Lake County is the largest natural freshwater lake entirely inside California, with an elevation of 1,326 feet and over 100 miles of shoreline. It is believed to be one of the oldest lakes in North America. Blue Lakes, Lake Pillsbury and Indian Valley Reservoir are the county’s other major bodies of water. The region is rich with historical and cultural resources in addition to its many recreational opportunities. Archeologists believe that Native Americans have lived in the Clear Lake basin for at least 11,000 years. It is also a nationally noted destination for both largemouth and smallmouth bass fishing, with many fish in the 4 to 6 lb. range, and some up to 10 lbs. or more.
The area features annual community events, festivals and fairs. Visitors can enjoy concerts, sporting events, fishing tournaments, car shows, casinos, farmers’ markets, special presentations and exhibits that provide fun for all ages.
Things to Do
- Wine Tasting
- Lake County Museum, Lakeport, 707-263-7918
- Historic Courthouse Museum, Lakeport, Native American displays, 707-263-4555
- Lower Lake Historic Schoolhouse Museum, 707-995-3565
- Five golf courses, including one championship 18-hole course
- Three casinos (Lakeport, Upper Lake and Middletown)
- Lakeport Speedway at the county fairgrounds, LakeportSpeedway.com
- Anderson Marsh State Historic Park, AndersonMarsh.org
- Clear Lake State Park, ClearLakeStatePark.org
- Mount Konocti County Park, hiking and daily bus tours, no vehicles allowed
- Fishing, swimming, sailing, wind surfing, parasailing, waterskiing, wakeboarding, boating and jet skiing
- Camping, hiking, dirt biking, off-highway vehicle riding, bird watching, areas for hang gliding