Built in 1917 by Jason Hartman and his son, this rustic bridge spans the Applegate River. Originally used for mining and logging traffic, it was also used as a rest stop between Jacksonville and the once-prosperous Blue Ledge Copper Mine. In 1956, vehicular traffic across the bridge was ceased due to safety concerns. In 1965, the shingled roof was repaired, and in 1985 and 1989, funds were raised to maintain the bridge for pedestrian traffic.
Oregon State features 50 remaining covered bridges. Of the four remaining covered bridges in Jackson County, the McKee Bridge is both the tallest, oldest, and longest.The McKee Picnic Ground, a Rogue National Forest facility, is located at the west end of the bridge along the Applegate River.
Where: 9045 McKee Bridge Road. Travel west on Highway 238 through Jacksonville to Ruch. From Ruch head south on Applegate Road for approximately 8.5 miles.
MORE INFO: www.southernoregon.com/bridges/mckee.html
Next Up: #93 – Rogue Valley Family Fun Center